I am an unpaid carer. What support and information is available to me?

Action for Carers Surrey and Carers Support West Sussex can help you if you are caring for someone who couldn’t manage without your help and the care you provide.

Whether you have recently become a carer or you have been caring for some time, there may be questions you have, resources you need and support and information you could benefit from. These carer support organisations can assist with all the issues that come with being an unpaid carer. Assistance is available irrespective of your financial situation, your needs, the patient’s condition or where you live.

Carers support representatives regularly visit East Surrey Hospital. If you would like to speak to someone please give your contact details to the ward manager or contact the representative directly.

If you live in Surrey

If you live in Sussex

Register as a carer with your GP

Every GP surgery should hold a register of their patients who look after a friend or relative. Registering as a carer will enable your GP to acknowledge you and your needs as a carer and provide you with further information and practical assistance.

Register as a carer with social services

In case of emergency is a register which identifies carers and people who would not be able to manage on their own if their carer were to be taken ill unexpectedly. Once registered, you will be provided with an emergency card to alert emergency services and also the council’s adult social care team that you are a carer.

Ask for a carer’s assessment to see if you are eligible for financial support.

For more information about carer assessment, or to register as a carer, call your local council: