Do you really need ED?

Help us keep the emergency department free for patients with serious and life-threatening conditions.

If you feel unwell, there are many alternative services which can help you to feel better.

call 111 iconCall 111

If you’re not sure which NHS service you need, call 111. An adviser will ask you questions to assess your symptoms and then give you the advice you need, or direct you straightaway to the best service for you in your area.

pharmacy-icon.pngVisit a pharmacist

Pharmacists are expert in many aspects of healthcare and can offer advice on a wide range of long-term conditions and common illnesses such as coughs, colds and stomach upsets. You don’t need an appointment and many have private consultation areas, so they are a good first port of call. Your pharmacist will say if you need further medical attention.

GP-icon.pngSee your GP

GPs assess, treat and manage a whole range of health problems. They also provide health education, give vaccinations and carry out simple surgical procedures. Your GP will arrange a referral to a hospital specialist should you need it.

walk-in-icon.pngVisit the local Urgent Treatment Centres (UTC) and Minor Injury Units (MIU). These are:


Caterham MIU (if aged 18 and over)

Located at Caterham Dene Hospital, Church Road, Caterham, CR3 5RA. Open 9am – 8pm, seven days a week. This is a convenient alternative to A&E and is run by qualified emergency nurse practitioners. The MIU provides treatment for cuts and grazes, sprains and strains, broken bones (fractures), bites and stings, infected wounds, eye problems such as infections or scratches, sports injuries, minor burns and scalds. X-ray facilities available on site.

Crawley UTC

Located at Crawley Hospital, West Green Drive, Crawley, RH11 7DH. Open seven days a week from 7:30am to 10pm.

The X-ray department is available Monday to Sunday, from 9:00am to 10:00pm with last admission at 9:30pm. UTCs treat most injuries that are urgent but not life threatening. For example, sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, bites and stings.

Horsham MIU

Located at Horsham Hospital, Hurst Road, Horsham, RH12 2DR. Open 9am – 5pm from Monday – Friday, excluding bank holidays. They are a minor injuries unit staffed by Emergency Nurse Practitioners and other nursing and ancillary staff. They provide assessment and treatment of a wide range of minor injuries in both adults and children. Following assessment patients may be treated and discharged or, if appropriate, referred onto other health care providers. X-ray facilities available on site.

East Grinstead MIU 

Located at Queen Victoria Hospital, Holtye Road, East Grinstead, RH19 3DZ. Open 8am – 8pm, seven days a week. The unit is run by emergency practitioners and experienced specialist nurses and paramedics who are able to assess, diagnose and treat a wide range of minor injuries and ailments for both adults and children over one year old. On call cover is also available for emergency referrals outside of these hours.

ambulance_icon.pngEmergency department

The emergency department provides vital care for life-threatening emergencies, such as loss of consciousness, suspected heart attacks, breathing difficulties, or severe bleeding that cannot be stopped. If you’re not sure it’s an emergency, call 111 for advice.