The Friends moved to support East Surrey Hospital in 1983 when Redhill General Hospital closed. Their Governing Committee consists of 11 Volunteer Members, who are also Trustees of the Charity (No. 287535). Each Committee Member has specific duties. The Membership of the Friends is about 300.
The aim of the Friends of East Surrey Hospital is to supplement the service provided by hospital for the comfort and welfare of patients, staff and visitors, by the provision of equipment and amenities, and by supporting the voluntary work of the hospital.
The Friends run a coffee shop in the East Entrance of the hospital which was recently refurbished. This is the main source of income for the charity. The coffee shop is manned entirely by volunteers and the Friends are always looking for reliable, cheerful people to join their team.
Thinking of Volunteering with the Friends?
We run three shifts a day; 10am-1pm, 1pm-4pm and 4pm-6pm. A lot of our volunteers work once a fortnight, although for some it is weekly and others it is monthly.
How have the Friends helped the hospital?
Grants made by the Friends in 2012
– 2 Devices to be used in major surgery – £k13.5
– Bladder Scanner – £k7.5
– Contribution to OCT Machine – £12.5
– Portable Computer for Chemotherapy – £3.0
– Ice Cream Machine for Godstone Ward – £k5.6
– Beds for parents Outwood – £k30
– Equipment for child friendly environment in Paediatric A&E – £k9.7
– Courtyard Garden – £k6.0
– Refurbishment of training room WACH – £k2.5
– Patient Lockers – £k4.5
– Televisions – £k2.0
– Modifications to East End Shop – £k35.o
How can you help?
- By joining the Friends
- Giving a donation, perhaps in memory of a relative or a friend
- Volunteering in our coffee shop
- Helping maintain the gardens
For more information visit: The Friends of East Surrey Hospital Website or contact Jackie Redman on 01737 244726