Patient care at SASH has been rated Outstanding by the Care Quality Commission and awarded the highest rating given by the independent health regulator.
“I am absolutely thrilled that all the hard work and commitment of everyone at SASH to making patient care the best it can be has been recognised and rated as Outstanding,” said Michael Wilson CBE, chief executive of SASH.
“Every day our people care for thousands of patients and I am so proud that their fantastic commitment and hard work has been recognised.”
A team of CQC inspectors, who recently visited SASH, inspected five core areas of patient care at SASH in five key domains and rated Caring; Responsive and Well-led as Outstanding and Safe and Effective as Good. In addition, following a detailed assessment, NHS Improvement rated SASH’s use of resources as Outstanding.
These high ratings resulted in the successful overall rating of Outstanding for the organisation and an increase from the previous Good rating given to SASH by the CQC in 2014.
Positive comments from the CQC inspectors’ report include:
- ‘Patients we spoke with, including volunteers and support staff were unwavering in their praise about the ward-based staff of all grades for ‘going the extra mile.’
- ‘Staff involved patients and those close to them in decisions about their care and treatment.’
- ‘Patients had been involved in service improvement activities within the department.’
- ‘Staff told us they felt well supported, valued and that that their opinions counted.’
- ‘Unmistakeable evidence of sustained improvement.’
- ‘Staff were highly motivated and inspired to offer care that was kind and promoted people’s dignity’
- ‘We observed many staff in different roles interact with patients in a kind, respectful and considerate way.’
They also noted that ‘The Trust had a very clear strategy, vision and values, which underpinned an exceptional culture which placed patients at the heart of all they did.’
Chief Inspector of Hospitals, Professor Edward Baker, said:
“Many congratulations to everyone at the trust for achieving an Outstanding rating. This could not have been accomplished without the commitment and hard work of the staff and leadership of the trust. Well done to everyone.”
Richard Shaw, chair, joined Michael Wilson CBE, chief executive, in thanking staff for their unfailing commitment to patients and also for the care and kindness that they show to each other.
“To be rated Outstanding by the CQC is an absolute credit to our people and to their unfailing focus on getting it right for the thousands of patients that they care for every day.”CQC inspection report 2019